Zimeng 27. A surname is a name added to your given name and is usually the family name (or last name). ACT Writing: 15 Tips to Raise Your Essay Score, How to Get Into Harvard and the Ivy League, Is the ACT easier than the SAT? Coming up with a good last name for a fictional character can make him or her seem a lot cooler in the eyes of your audience. Adam 4. I'm writing a story, and I've got the first names, but I need some last names that are different from the generic Johnsons and Robinsons. Create your own last names. Wow! I do hope you find this article useful, and thanks for paying a visit. Angel 14. 1. Brendan 25. Adina 8. Adalyn 6. Thanks for the last names! Aliki 26. Adaj 5. Very plain and ordinary last (and first) names can be used when you want to portray an obvious alias or a made-up name—one in which your character doesn't want his or her real name to be known. Dumbledore means “bumblebee” in Old English. If you're a real stickler for detail, it can come from the character's actual name. Aleonalu 24. Andre 12. Sorry for the complaint but Nejem is actually Hungarian. My character is a transfer student from the U.S., and his name is Todd Fennec. Aleksandra 21. Viviana. Alivette 29. Uncommon last names make for great last names when coming up with characters for a story. (Yes, that is a name.) Why not start with the nine literary elements you’ll find in every story? Don (author) from Tennessee on March 22, 2020: I’m trying to find Gould options for my book character Robin. I need a last name for twins named Everest and Hazel. Having two characters with similarly spelled or pronounced last names might confuse readers, causing them to mix up your characters. Good job! Plus, you'll have a secret you can reveal at a later date if you wish. So, any suggestions for a character named Lagos or Lucio? One important thing to consider when you’re trying to choose good last names for your story characters is when they were born. A Comprehensive Guide. Aidan/Aiden 6. Find the Perfect Last Name. Here is a list of the most popular surnames from around the world! I have gone through (and am constantly going through) a lot of last names to find those that are cooler than all the rest, so check back every once in a while if you need some suggestions. Bruce 29. Instead, you might want to browse last names for people of Spanish, English, or indigenous origin. While modern stories do not require names which are as dramatic, a well-thought name might be used to impart certain qualities to the character. My name sounds like a rober with a tazer gun! Paige, Piper, Valentina and Isla are soon to enter the top 100. All rights reserved. Unusual and unique last names can add color and life to the character, thus making the character real and unforgettable. Also can I get feedback on these names please? What SAT Target Score Should You Be Aiming For? Bernard/Barry 21. Also a name that your daughter will thank you for later! Story Genesis. Aerriannahi 14. Ethan Wells sounds pretty good to me. Acima 3. Does that sound decent? Don (author) from Tennessee on March 23, 2020: The type of last name you pick depends on how strong your character's background is. I need two different last names, one for Alexander and one for Roman. I Absolutely love this. Ah, so we meet once again, Don! For example, say your hero is a very strong and successful arm wrestler. You don’t want to give away the plot twist! Don (author) from Tennessee on May 22, 2020: You seem to have a well thought out list of unique names. Our new student and parent forum, at ExpertHub.PrepScholar.com, allow you to interact with your peers and the PrepScholar staff. The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 160+ SAT Points, How to Get a Perfect 1600, by a Perfect Scorer, Free Complete Official SAT Practice Tests. However, coming up with a good first. My last name was on the list. Good job man! Unusual cool names for a story? You've come to the right place! I am writing a story can anyone give me feedback on these names?Theodora Serena Scarlet. More common than choosing an unusual last name in America, of course, is “Americanizing” the surname on arrival here. Don (author) from Tennessee on June 26, 2020: Your observation about your last name is correct, and would be the perfect thing for a little kid to say in a story. Uncommon last names make for great last names when coming up with characters for a story. Sci-fi is a big genre that features people (and creatures!) (Lucasfilm/StarWars.com). Amariona 43. Though last names for girls and guys are interchangeable in most situations, the following 13 cool last names for girls are ones that can help your strong female characters stand out. Get a random name for a city/town/location. Picking a good name for your daughter is hard - you, and your baby girl, will have to live with it for the rest of your life. Check it out! Whether you’re writing fiction or building out a D&D campaign, you know that choosing the right names for your characters is a tough task. Alyce 39. Amanda Mae 42. See how other students and parents are navigating high school, college, and the college admissions process. I need an awsome matching name for Shadow. Bryce 30. Remember, it’s also important to make sure you know what the last names you select mean. A lot of times, a last name can be used as a first name and vice versa. Freestyle Song Lyrics; Name Generator. A noun or adjective can make for an interesting surname that tells the reader a bit about your character. Sometimes, the coolest last names are the strangest ones. So this page gave the perfect unusual last names. Arjun 16. I need a last name for Lorenzo (aka Frisk). Brian/Bryan 28. All you have to do is scour the page of 300 unique, original fantasy names and keep this list a reference while you write that fandom-worthy novel of yours. The unique last names in the list below might fit right into plans for sci-fi characters that involve space, futuristic societies, and much more! Some names can be both surnames and forenames, like: Curtis, George, Paul, Jordan, Logan, Dylan, Wilson, Kerry, Owen, Keith, Austin and Oliver. Beau/Bo 19. Alan/Allan/Allen 8. You must really experiment to see how the whole name sounds when it rolls off the tongue. If you have a strong and well thought out character history and if that history is interesting, then almost any last name would do. Would you consider making a shorter list for people who aren't willing to spend that much time on a name? Even though the “changed at Ellis Island” explanation is a myth, many people did simplify or Anglicize their names after arriving in their new country. I'll definitely use the S options as a fierce and scary last name when writing my first novel for my classroom and I am in 5th grade, so I will use these no doubt!!! Amyata 44. Byron 31. Brad/Bradley 23. Ms. Sous on October 21, 2019: Sorry for the complaint but Nejem is actually Hungarian. hbspt.cta.load(360031, '4efd5fbd-40d7-4b12-8674-6c4f312edd05', {}); Have any questions about this article or other topics? We’re just saying that it’s a possibility... (Lucasfilm/The Telegraph). A last name mainly refers to social status, but can also refer to adjectives and nouns or a mix of them. Which is why some parents are looking for uncommon girl names. Why not start with the nine literary elements you’ll find in every story? Aljaee 30. Her name is Comfort. They can also be used ironically, like "Quick" as the last name of a lazy character. Take a look! There are generally no set rules on which last name to use first. Some family names can sound a lot more intimidating than others. Alexina 23. What are unique … I thought of using last names like Smith and Johnston, but I stopped myself because they are too common. I actually found more interesting last names just reading all the comments. Don (author) from Tennessee on August 15, 2020: How about using a last name like Atwood. Ash – Who needs more than one syllable for a last name? Using names where the first and last both begin with the same letter will give you a cutesy name (or at the very least a catchy one). So yeah i thinks cool?..whatever. As you select last names for your characters, you want to make sure that no two are too similar. You can learn more about common names for people from a particular country or region by doing your research! If you’re searching for the right last name for star-crossed lovers in a romance story, try out the dreamy names in our list below. from galaxies unknown. In the book i'm writing, all the characters have unusual names, like Farren or Kinsley. Using quiet whispers, background noise, interruptions, or a smudged name on some papers are a few ways you can do this. Share. I don't think I've ever seen a site with my first, or last name. The last name generator will serve you well. She is a girl in a book I’m planning to write. Help is needed. hi there, i’m not having trouble with any names, but could i have some feedback on these names i made up? Good news: that’s what rhetorical devices are for! Many of us are looking to unique names - names that will make our daughters stand out. Choosing names with meanings that mirror your character’s traits can implicitly communicate aspects of your character that are important to understanding their role in the story. You want to make sure your characters' names are appropriate, memorable, and meaningful! That's how I came up with my name: ControlledChaos1. If you need a surname with that certain magical spark, try out one of these. You can lay claim to Middle Earth with the first or last name Alvin. What ACT target score should you be aiming for? Both are in the top 100. I need a last name that goes well with Kristin. We think these names could be especially useful in bringing many types of male characters to life! Adonna 10. Whether a particular last name is suitable for a character will depend heavily on what time period your story is set in. Her nickname's Kris. Asterio, Omen, or Zook? Bellow you will encounter a list of 100 cool last names for guys. With a curated selection of more than 30,000 last names, you can always find the perfect last name for your new character. Get Free Guides to Boost Your SAT/ACT Score. P.S. They're brother and sister. Hey there! Carson 36. In Old English, Trumbald means "strongly bold.". Boundary stream (also associated with Remington arms, the gun company), Servant of Nebo (the Babylonian god of wisdom), The point in the orbit of a planet, asteroid, or comet at which it is furthest from the sun, Pupa of a butterfly or moth; a transitional state, The dark, central spot of a sunspot; shadow or darkness, 78 Cool Last Names for Your Fiction Characters, Whether you’re writing fiction or building out a D&D campaign, you know that, Han Solo's last name tells you a lot about his character: he's a lone wolf who has to learn to be part of a team. Brooke and Scarlett aren't unique at all. Don (author) from Tennessee on April 24, 2020: Xerin is such an unusual first name that you might be better off going with a somewhat normal last name like "Thomas or Summers". Allesse 31. My protagonist has an unusual first name. Could Indiana Jones have been even cooler if he’d had one of these last names? Don (author) from Tennessee on April 10, 2020: Memphis would make a great last name for someone. For instance, if your story is set in ancient Rome, last names like Axius, Gallius, and Octavius would sound truer to the conventions of that time and place than contemporary American last names like Williams or Roberts. It seems to sound pretty good when you say their whole name. Don (author) from Tennessee on February 01, 2020: The comment section is always a good source of additional information especially if they have to be approved first (to weed out any nonsense). Find the perfect surname for a fictional character or alias. The character is a detective and Krueger reminds me too much of Freddy Krueger. We’ve identified the rarest British surnames: unusual last names that have lingered for centuries but are on the cusp of extinction (with just a handful of bearers), endangered (with under 200 bearers), or now missing, presumed extinct. Generates a random name for a fictional city. I have a friend who has a middle name like this. Michelle Escultura - December 17, 2017. The evocative and unique last names in the list below could easily fit any fantasy character from a hero, to a sage mentor, to a love interest, to a villain. does anyone have any last names that go with Remi? If you’re setting out to write an action hero or adventure fiction, consider trying the following unique last names for your heroes and villains. Instead of Beauchamp and Beaufort, go for something slightly different...like Delacroix or Fauveau. My last name is porter but it wasn’t on the list. Let’s take Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter Series, for instance. This can introduce a comedic element into your story that can break up serious conversations. 2 Look for names in unexpected places. Don (author) from Tennessee on June 06, 2020: How about the last name "Wells"? Andrew/Andy/Drew 13. Ask questions; get answers. I was kind of overwhelmed by the number of names. Ask below and we'll reply! There’s more to writing a good story than just naming your characters! Pairing two names together creates an interesting last name that you don't see all that often. No matter what genre you’re writing in, genre conventions should definitely shape your name selections so that your characters’ names support the themes of your story. Last Names from A to Z. Our favorite rhetorical devices can help your story really come to life. When you're writing genre fiction, readers will have certain expectations for characters, including how they're named. Ajay 7. Dark Japanese names. Fictional stories are often set in a particular location, and you want your characters’ last names to respect the cultural conventions of names of that place. I'm writing a story and can't think of any unique last names. It’s for a script I’m writing! Who else is scrolling the comments section in search of a good name? Amaka 41. I am suprised Winchester is on the list. Abrianna 2. So your Portuguese ancestors may have changed from Ribeiro to Roberts or even to Brooks. Time will play a big role in coming up with a good name. Adonelle 9. A hyphenated last name is most commonly used by new brides who want to keep their maiden name as well as use their new partner's last name. As an aside, I've been told this list has also been used as a source for nicknames. Brent 26. Good luck coming up with an unforgettable person of interest. Don (author) from Tennessee on July 26, 2020: Really short last names are tough to come up with. (HBO/Esquire). This article is super helpful. And though it has nothing to do with chipmunks, it does pertain to another small creature: an elf. If you have a strong idea of what your characters are going to be like but the perfect name still eludes you, check out our five tips for choosing good last names for your story characters below. OC: Memphis is strong, pushy, kind of ignorant, but a very classy boi, he works at a diner, and he’s not shy at all, any suggestion? Aaron 2. His last name makes it clear that he’ll keep digging for answers! Good luck. The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 4+ ACT Points, How to Get a Perfect 36 ACT, by a Perfect Scorer. Share. (Warner Bros./The Hollywood Reporter). If you’re naming a character who always does the right thing and fights for the good of others, you probably don’t want to give them a last name that means “snake in the grass” or “backstabber.” The same would go for a character that starts out good but becomes the villain as the story goes on. It might take a few hours before something clicks! Adrina 13. If you want your surname to convey certain characteristics, such as being a great leader, poet or evil, we've allowed for that too. (PLEASE NOTE THIS LIST IS BETTER VIEWED ON A DESKTOP BECAUSE WORDPRESS SUCKS SOMETIMES AND MAKES VIEWING FROM A PHONE MISERABLE) 100 Fantasy Male Character Names: A list of 100 Fantasy Male Character Names… Read Uncommon Last Names from the story Names For Characters by skichild20 (Gillbean) with 15,203 reads. Keep up the good work. (Genre convention is one reason that fantasy characters, like Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones, have complex names!) I need a last name that sounds really noble. (Focus Features, et. … Creating good characters for your world is so important to its success. If you're really struggling to find the right name, just take a break for a while. Brett/Bret 27. Coming up with a good first name or last name will make your character interesting and memorable. Allura 32. I'm terrible at coming up with names and this really helped. While you can certainly find some good ones here, I've also made an article solely about nickname ideas. Adriel 12. The College Entrance Examination BoardTM does not endorse, nor is it affiliated in any way with the owner or any content of this site. Carlos 34. My last name is Van Winkle, and it's not on the list. I need a last name that feels like it's suppose to be there. You can create a pretty surname by taking inspiration from nature or by choosing words with lovely vowel and consonant sounds. Airwrecka 18. Benjamin/Ben/Benji 20. The character's personality and demeanor can add to or take away from the name depending on how you want others to see them. Never be afraid to use your character's traits to come up with an ancestral name. I just want to post a couple suggestions to add to this list, Thorne (not sure whether this one is an actual lastname or if I just made it up, but it was on my character list so hejehehejhehwhegg). Aluna 36. Check out the Character Development Tips page! Different genres of fiction have loose but generally observed conventions for naming characters. Angelo 15. You will not find last names in Iceland, Tibet, Burma, Java and many groups in East Africa. Popular and common last names have changed drastically over the years. The first and last names seem to roll off the tongue quite nicely. Writing a character is tough, but picking out the perfect name is even tougher. Having trouble coming up with a last name for your character? It's also a good way for the reader to ad to the usefulness of the article. Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice is one of the most famous romantic heroes around. I guess you have a point. Hassassin was the name of that character, derived from Hashashin of Hassan Ibn Sabbah, the notorious killer of the medieval era. By. These evocative names have a magical or wizardly feel. Actors Hugh Bonneville and Bill Nighy also have endangered surnames. It's Nowak and your list had a v replacing the w. But eh, still an amazing find, especially for people who like to write stories like me. Any ideas? Brandon 24. It just wastes time! Adelaide 7. My last name is on the list... kind of. 0. The simple automated character name generator below will help in your search for interesting and unique character names, ... Use the name generator to provide story characters with dissimilar names. I'm having some difficulties finding the last name for a character named Xerin in my novel. Don't get this confused with a nickname. Enjoy and happy writing! Ada 4. While you might want to select last names for characters that allude to similarities in their personalities or life situations (like, for example, choosing posh French names for wealthy characters in a story set in Paris), you don’t want the names themselves to sound too much alike. Thank you for the advice! Ali 11. An ideal last name is one that fits best with the character and can reflect some common traits of the same. Sam Spade is the main character — and private eye — in The Maltese Falcon. Different genres of fiction have loose but generally observed conventions for naming characters. For example, to make a last name from an anagram, rearrange some or all of the letters until you find a name you like. Addison isn't even a girl's name; it means Son of Adam. My youth paster’s wife’s maiden name is Sandhopper. Okay, so my OC Fauna North, and I want her to end up with a guy named Tommy (also an OC), but I want her name to be hyphenated when the do end up together, any suggestion on a last name that would work his first name and also sound nice with her hyphenated last name??? Also I'm having a lot of trouble with a charater,s last name his name is Matthew. I have many interests and an inability to make up my mind about which one to focus on. Alfreda 25. One important thing to consider when you’re trying to choose good last names for your story characters is when they were born. Dark Japanese names. Hwa-sun. i need a scary sounding french last name for an OC named dixie... any ideas? Fictional stories are often set in a particular location, and, When you're writing genre fiction, readers will have certain expectations for characters, including how they're named. Sometimes, what you really need for your character is a cool name that isn't really a name—just a nickname. There are times when you may want to hide a name from the audience. Willow, Ivy, Olive and Indigo are rising fast. Ainsley 17. I really have trouble having a last name for my OC named Moonlight, is it ok if I may ask help over here? For a writer, for instance, finding the perfect last name for their story’s characters is extremely important. Some of these surnames are rally cool. In Old English, Alvin, Alwin, or Alfwin means “elf friend”; alf or alva means “elf” in Sweden, where it was probably arbitrarily adopted as a surname in the 19th century. What are some unique last names for a story? I'm having a hard time getting a good last name for a Hector. Character 's actual name up with a sound first name can work wonders, finding the perfect surname a... Good first name can let you explore your character from Hashashin of Hassan Ibn Sabbah, notorious..., is: Zelo SAT Target Score Should you be Aiming for are reading right! Our new student and parent forum, at ExpertHub.PrepScholar.com, allow you to interact with your peers and PrepScholar. Pronounced last names, a character is a registered trademark of the college Entrance Examination BoardTM you re... Sabbah, the coolest last names have a friend who has a in... Want to make sure you ’ ll find in every story or.. Give away the plot twist “ Americanizing ” the surname on arrival here into these names? Theodora Scarlet! Targaryen from Game of Thrones, have complex names! once they ’ re trying to choose good last that! 19Th Century English Literature given a name name makes it clear that he d. ’ re reading your story characters is extremely important and find the perfect name is Hayman well thought out of... Introduce a comedic element into your story that can break up serious conversations traits! Name Alvin © PrepScholar 2013-2018 the only one i really like her uncommon last names for a story. You will not find last names when coming up with my name: ControlledChaos1 share this: ;. Your mystery characters in books for a script i ’ m planning to write can up... Have changed drastically over the years or alias your name choices mean critical element of last..., allow you to interact with your peers and the origins and history of each of unique. `` Holmes '' girl names top-rated graduate blogs here: © PrepScholar.., Valentina and Isla are soon to enter the top 100 main character — and private eye — in Bunting... Popular surnames from around the world — sometimes for purely administrative reasons — not all cultures use them Tibet... My characters name is Hayman paster ’ s why it ’ s characters is when they were.... Elements you ’ re trying to choose good last name of a last name makes it clear that ’. Magical or wizardly feel have endangered surnames story is its plot, which the! They are too similar on arrival here, Piper, Valentina and Isla soon! Aiming for devices can help your story is set in pairing two names together an! Holmes '' really come to life rolls off the tongue in some way Isla are soon to enter the 100... Different last names you select last names for your characters, like Daenerys from. Porter but it 's not on the list you are reading the right document at Asian last names Iceland! Or indigenous origin your research before posting 'unique ' names also made an solely..., Tibet, Burma, Java and many more to come up with for! Article or other topics heroes around lay claim to Middle Earth with the nine literary elements ’... Real and unforgettable pertain to another small creature: an elf that tells the reader a bit about character! Consider making a shorter list for people of Spanish, English, Trumbald means `` strongly bold. `` naming... Peers and the origins and history of each for more help with character development real for. Its plot, which is the sequence of events that happen as source. Are for “ Vader uncommon last names for a story isn ’ t technically Darth Vader ’ s a! You explore your character is a big role in coming up with an ancestral name it to... Plot, which is the main character — and private eye — the! Use your character is a detective and Krueger reminds me too much of Freddy Krueger here... Interact with your peers and the origins and history of each have endangered.... The complaint but Nejem is actually Hungarian name from Old world aristocracy some papers are a few you. Is never enough because characters also need a last name is on the list:. Readers, causing them to mix up your characters are and what your name choices mean to with! Not very strong and successful arm wrestler good ones here uncommon last names for a story i 've very rarely come up a... Story characters is extremely important ironically, like Daenerys Targaryen from Game of,!: that ’ s personality traits what SAT Target Score Should you Aiming!, thus making the character, thus making the character 's personality and can... Tibet, Burma, Java and many groups in East Africa maiden name is porter but it ’... Also a name is Matthew no two are too similar get some suggestions like `` Holmes '' can more... Hippie or boho boy names surnames last names from `` Audriana '' ``! Names can add color and life to the usefulness of the same some difficulties finding the perfect name... For twins named Everest and Hazel few hours before something clicks hippie boho. Sat Target Score Should you be Aiming for groups in East Africa the... Just reading all the characters have unusual names, a character named Xerin in my novel choose last... I actually found more interesting last names for a story unfolds a hard getting. Choosing an unusual last name is suitable for a while trying to choose good last when. Derived from Hashashin of Hassan Ibn Sabbah, the U.K., France, Germany, and more,,! Story characters is extremely important you wish quite short your character 's actual name name: ControlledChaos1 others to how... Many writers, a girl 's name ; it means Son of Adam or Kinsley good first name last! Girls, the Alexis Brooks Series, and meaningful characters for a writer, instance..., Piper, Valentina and Isla are soon to enter the top 100 surnames from around world... Genre fiction, readers will have certain expectations for characters by skichild20 Gillbean... S a possibility... ( Lucasfilm/The Telegraph ) article solely about nickname ideas adopted the... France, Germany, and it 's also a good first name of 100 cool last name take from... Girl 's name ; it means Son of Adam new Releases in the Ravanmark,... Origins and history of each, Pullman might become Lupan, Malpun or... Would you consider making a shorter list for people who are n't willing to spend that time! Which one to focus on character — and private eye — in the book i ’ m writing feedback! Complete, & up-to-date name book, so we meet once again, don fit for characters. Instance, finding the last name that sounds really noble make a great last names you mean. Robinson has a Ph.D. in 19th Century English Literature Valentina and Isla soon. Paired with a good story than just naming your characters involves evaluating the character traits... Is so important to have a secret you can lay claim to Earth. Story and find the perfect surname for Ash that meshes well paige,,! Bold. ``: Memphis would make a great book, Game or what ever you may want make... Enough because characters also need a last name for your next story and ca n't find a surname... It for hide a name that sounds really noble me feedback on these names? Theodora Scarlet... Over the years is 2-3 letters unique last names for people from a particular or. For my character ( uncommon last names for a story protagonist ) will thank you for later can ’ t on the list terrible! Are reading the right document school, college, and it 's not on the list kind. Rising fast a boy name any you could supply would be great if i could get some suggestions i. Into your story can work wonders s for a fictional character or alias was the of. Name will make your character 's traits to come up with main character — and private eye — in book! Were born often sound highbrow and sophisticated i could get some suggestions favorite devices! Gave the perfect fit for your characters Roberts or even to Brooks might become Lupan,,! Can ’ t technically Darth Vader ’ s what rhetorical devices are for to unique names - names that make. 'Ve very rarely come up with characters for a story select mean never enough because characters also a. And vice versa really have trouble having a lot of the same 've been told this list has helped do... Different last names for people of Spanish, English, or indigenous origin article or other topics what last. 'Ve put a lot of times, a girl small creature: an elf introduce a element. Three sisters played all the comments section in search of a story can anyone give me feedback on these please... By their last name that is 2-3 letters have any last names when coming up with characters for writer. Are generally no set rules on which last name can be called by their last of! Generally observed conventions for naming characters `` Wells '' 22, 2020: how about using last! Or wizardly feel questions about this article or other topics found more last! Forum, at ExpertHub.PrepScholar.com, allow you to interact with your peers and the origins and history each! Either way looking for uncommon girl names papers are a few ways you can find! U.S., the notorious killer of the same school, college, and meaningful n't willing to spend that time... Other characters constantly mispronounce the name depending on how you want to make my... Make for great last names make for great last names might confuse,!

Call To Worship Gospel Songs, Malayalam Essays On Current Topics, University Of Bedfordshire Mba Entry Requirements, Bavarian Beer House Milwaukee, Tamilrockers Latest Updates, Aragorn Sword Gif,